UBC Biological Science Building
OWNER: UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
ARCHITECT: ACTON OSTRY ARCHITECTS INC.
MECHANICAL CONSULTANT: MCW CONSULTANTS LTD.
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: SCOTT CONSTRUCTION LTD.
PROJECT DELIVERY: PLAN/SPEC TENDER
- 2011 year completed
- $11,627,000. value of mechanical work
- 75,885 square feet complete reconstruction of existing structure, housing modern reasearch laboratories, teaching labs, classrooms and academic offices
- New mechanical systems, including HVAC, plumbing and fire protection
- Advanced Hydronic systems using water to water heat pumps and UBC’s steam utility network for both heating and cooling
- Heating and cooling primarily achieved through fan coils, VAV boxes and radiators
- Energy recovery systems from the building’s exhaust system, through the laboratory exhaust fans (LEFs)
- Significant increase in water efficiency using low flow fixtures and waterless urinals
- Stormwater collection to bioswale (subsoil drainage)
- Target LEED Gold Project Certification